Monday, January 05, 2009

What I Need to (Re)Learn

When I took the GRE way back in 2001, there were plenty of things I didn't know. I had forgotten most of my math and had to spend several weeks building my math skills once again.

Now, as I prepare to take the CBEST in three short weeks, I find myself in much the same position as eight years ago. (sidenote: how on earth was I a college junior, preparing for grad school, eight whole years ago??).

I began studying a few weeks ago, but it's only been in this past week that I've begun to realize just how MUCH I've forgotten. And, as it was eight years ago, it's the math that gets me each and every time.

Well, the math and that whole "reading too fast so that I miss key parts of the question" part...but that's been a problem all my life.

I go too fast for my own good. I skim questions like I push through books and then, on the other side, I'm not able to answer basic questions.

So, it's not so much that I need to relearn math (though I do) as that I need to go back to avoiding my lifelong problem of moving blindly and quickly.

Hmm...perhaps I can apply that to the rest of my life, as well.

Who knew I would learn so much by studying for a standardized test?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the exam prep! I am sure you will do wonderfully!