Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Off Kilter

"What's wrong with you?," WG asked me as I sat quietly on the couch, waiting for our movie to start, just about to begin eating dinner.

"Nothing."

"How bad was work exactly?"

"It wasn't good, but it wasn't the worst day I've ever had. Why?"

"I'm just trying to figure out if I need to know what's wrong with you."

"There's nothing wrong with me."

twenty minutes later.

"I don't think my boss likes me. Maybe that's what's bothering me."

I didn't have a particularly good day at work yesterday. Customers were either cranky or just plain weird. I had a twenty minute conversation with someone that should have taken only five minutes. I left work feeling drained and emotionally spent.

I woke up at 4:30 this morning with a sore throat.

Either I was getting sick already, or the bad day yesterday has brought on a cold. I'm fighting it with airbourne and am planning on one of those vitamin c overloads known as the Jamba Juice Cold Buster. But overall, I'm just...off kilter.

I am a sensitive human being. If I'm having some kind of issue at home, I can't concentrate at work. If my work life is troubling me, well then home isn't completely peaceful, either.

Now, if I'm sick, the whole world comes tumbling down. I act weird with my boyfriend. I mope with my mom. I stare with a glazed expression at my boss when she makes a corny joke. I answer e-mails using odd phrases, hit send, and then immediately regret sounding like an idiot.

What I need is to crawl in bed and let this work its course through my system. Instead, I'm hoping the customers will behave and that I can get by with being passibly sociable to my co-workers until 6 p.m.

At which point I will go buy myself some healthy groceries and then go home and throw myself into bed.

Eight hours to go.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, I hope you feel better soon!!! Get some sleep and lots of juice!

Diane Mandy said...

And I hope you get another job soon. The place sounds just awful for you. Feel better!

Bre said...

Ugh! I hope things are better for you Super Soon!