Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Ten True Things

1. Though I profess to love San Francisco, I am always nervous about the drive there, nervous about getting around and anxious about getting home. While I can sometimes get caught up in being anonymous and just a part of the flow of the city, I can't quite catch my breath there.

2. Grocery shopping is a tremendous comfort to me. I love wandering the aisles, seeing what's on sale and putting things in my cart. This also means that I often return to my apartment, unpack all of the bags and find that I've bought nothing that goes together but lots of things I'm looking forward to eating.

3. My best "homemaker" skill is cooking, but I rarely fix anything for just myself that doesn't involve a microwave.

4. I am not nearly as organized as people think I am. Everyone always says, "Oh, you're so organized! You've even got your CDs in alphabetical order." First, I think, "Who doesn't have their CDs in alphabetical order?" and then I tell them that I'm not nearly as put together and orderly as they might think.

5. I'm still more organized than most people. I also alphabetize my DVDs and, when much younger, used to put my family's videos in alphabetical order and by rating.

6. Since January, when enacting my "calm the hell down" resolution, I have had to tell myself to "calm down," "chill out," or "chillax" at least once a day, usually more.

7. The only reason I really ever wanted to live in the city is because I like what it looked like on Felicity, Sex and the City and, of course, Friends.

8. Living in Boston those years ago was not at all like I thought it would be. And I was nervous a great deal of the time. And lonely.

9. Working eight hours a day exhausts me. It came to me today, as it sometimes does, that on a workday, I have, perhaps a good four hours to get things done. Yet, I spend eight hours a day doing stuff for other people. This bothers me immensely. Not that I have any idea what I would do with twelve hours of time to fill each day.

10. I used to want to be a journalist. I even went to school for it for two semesters. But, you know, I think I just prefer working (even at a job that exhausts me) and saving what writing energy I have for important things like blogging and writing wonderfully detailed e-mails to my friends.

2 comments:

singlemuslimah said...

OMG, #7 is true for me too! I thought I was the only person in the world like that. And I love grocery shopping.

Wow you are way more organized than most people. I'm impressed.

Chillax is an awesome word.

Sarah said...

On organization, yesterday my boss told me that one of my co-workers is intimidated by me, because I'm so organized. I think that's just crazy!