Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The End of the Affair

Okay, so it wasn't really an affair, and we all knew it was basically over, but in any case, things with the Intellectual have officially ended in what was quite likely the most grown-up "break-up," I'll ever have.

My non-boyfriend and I had a mutual break-up.

The ten minute conversation via telephone mostly involved me being horribly bored, annoyed that he started in on the definition of "week" when I described something that happened on Friday, and he said, "Well, that was last week, not this week, and you said that 'this' week had been interesting, so unless you have a different definition of week..." I believe that at this point, it's obvious why he and I were not a match.

Still, the conversation kept on going. He described more of his plans for getting his Ph.D. "basically, I'll go until I run out of money." Yeah, good plan.

Then, he stopped randomly and said, "So, what do you think about what's going on with us?"

I said that it sounds like he's very busy with all of his "philosophy stuff" and probably doesn't have much time for anything else.

He said he had thought that he might not be able to handle a relationship while working on his studies for 80 hours a week (uhm, dude, you're not in med school, chill) and that I probably wanted someone who had Catholic beliefs more in line with my own.

I replied that I don't actually have to have someone who agrees with me on everything, but yes, it's nice to share a foundation (in my head, I was just thinking that it's nice to date someone who publicly proclaims an affiliation with an actual religion rather than talking about being Catholic and then saying that organized religion doesn't really work for him).

And he said, "So, what do we do?"

"Well, you go do your philosophy thing and your poli-sci thing, and when you're published you can come give an author talk at the library."

"Okay, I'll do that."

"Good luck."

"Good luck to you, too. You're a good girl."

"Thanks, you're a good guy."

And so, the end of the affair.

p.s. on a sidenote, I could listen to John Mayer play allllll night and not get bored. That boy can jam! Man, I love me some JM!

No comments: