Thursday, July 20, 2006

Issues

Going against what I said just a few short months ago, I'm back on Match.com. I know that it's a risk and that it might end in disappointment, but it also gives me hope and offers some possibilities. Recent events have proven to me, once again, that I'm not too good at the spontaneous meeting.

In any case, I've been browsing the profiles of some young men and have noticed a disturbing trend. Many of them specifically request a woman "without issues." Now, clearly, that's not me, and that's okay. I don't have to be a match for every man on the dating site. What I realized, though, is that everyone has issues. It's just a matter of how we respond to our issues. No one but a robot has a perfect existence. No one but someone so seriously deep in denial that they might actually wind up injuring themselves could possibly say that they don't have any issues.

Maybe these guys just got out of a relationship with a drama queen, or maybe they dated someone with some serious issues, or maybe they don't want a relationship at all, just someone to, uhm, hang out with.

But really? A woman without issues? Isn't that like a birthday without presents? Or even more impossible, like spotting bigfoot?

I can see the headlines now:

SPOTTED! AN ISSUE-FREE WOMAN. SHE GETS ALONG WITH ALL MEMBERS OF HER FAMILY, BUT ISN'T TOO CLOSE TO THEM, DOESN'T GET CAUGHT UP IN TRIVIAL DRAMA AMONGST HER FRIENDS, HAS NO PROBLEM IF THE GUY ONLY CALLS WHEN HE WANTS SOMETHING AND NEVER, EVER, EVER CRIES.

Good luck, guys!

No comments: