Wednesday, May 03, 2006

"No matter what he does, every person on earth plays a central role in the history of the world. And normally he doesn't know it."
From The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

In reading this book, I am coming, once again, to believe whole-heartedly in omens, signs and "gut feelings," but this particular quote really stands out to me.

The quote refers to the Centurion who asked Jesus to save his dying servant saying, "My Lord, I am not worthy that you should come under my roof. But only speak a word and my servant will be healed" (pg. 158).

Before receiving Communion, every Catholic says, "Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word, and I shall be healed." This one man's words had an influence on the order of the mass, on the way Catholics and Christians view themselves in relation to Jesus...and likely, he never knew what an impact he had on the world.

There are many people who have had an incredibly positive impact on my life, but seeing as it is HIS BIRTHDAY, I have to talk about my dad...someone who gets surprisingly little attention in this blog!

He doesn't read the blog (for good reason), but I will say: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DADDY!

Whatever else you might say about him, say this first: My father is a fine and honorable man. He does what is right and constantly challenges me to the same. We have a strong relationship, and I look for him for guidance on how to proceed with my life. As my mom says, "sometimes he says just the thing you needed but would never have thought of yourself." It's true. He sees the world from a different perspective than a lot of people. He expects goodness from others and is surprised when he doesn't get it. He's also willing to put up with a lot more than I am when it comes to being disrespected. I think, deep at the heart, he believes that if he continues to show respect, eventually that person will get the hint. That, or he's got that "turn the other cheek" thing down pat.

Whenever I think of my dad, I see him standing tall, with the sun shining behind him, like a conquering hero who has just vanquished the enemy. My father is a protector and a role model. I am honored to be my father's daughter.

My father has made a lasting impression on my life, and I am sure that he has changed the lives of others, whether it be the people he works with, the clients he serves, or simply random people he encounters as he goes about his life. I hope that he has a magnificent birthday! He certainly deserves it.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DADDY!

No comments: