Friday, April 21, 2006

Apparently, it takes 21 days to change a habit.

Lent is 40 (well 47, counting Holy Week).

Plenty of time for a Catholic girl to make a change, right?

So, did I do it? Did I successfully change my behavior?

First, let's go over Lent again. A few weeks ago, someone asked me, "But don't you have go give up something for Lent?" Well, it's true that you can give something up, but it's not necessarily something good that goes away. I didn't give up anything tangible like candy. Instead, I tried to make change in attitude and behavior. The point is, Lent calls us to make some sacrifice and do something difficult.

So, we're back to the original question. Did I do it? Was I successful?

I think I was. I still have work to do, but I'll never quite finish...or when I do, I hope to go to Heaven...so later is fine with me.

But I think that I have a difference in my life and hopefully in the lives of others as well. One of things I can say is that my attitude about work has most certainly changed. I do ask questions about certain tasks, but I ultimately get the job done without really complaining. I get clarification, rather than give complaints.

Another thing I've come to realize is that althought sometimes it should be the other person who calls first, I can make the choice to be the "bigger" person and make the call.

I did "let go" of some people in my life, but I have realized that these are important people, and that even if it was a friend who "started it," I didn't have to be a big whiny baby and wait for that friend to get back in touch.

It also helps that I had a dream last night that one of my best friends from high school called at some distant point in the future, and as we talked, I realized that she had missed my wedding and didn't know about a lot of other good things in my life, and I didn't know anything about hers. I want her IN my wedding, not finding out about after the fact. So, I decided to call her, because she IS important. Whether or not she calls back is up to her, but I made the choice to step away from the e-mail and pick up the phone. And y'all who know my fondness for e-mail may well know how difficult that was for me, hahaha :).

So, in a rather large nutshell, yes, Lent and Easter made a difference in my life. I'm on track but it's a daily effort to be a better person. I make no guarantees that this will stick, but please gently remind me when I wander off track.

No comments: