Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Well, I'm looking forward to heading home in a couple of days (I miss my animals! Plus, I've read an e-mail in which one of them is referred to as a "crying mess" so the pet-maternal part of me is feeling a bit anxious about taking care of my poor pets!). That said, the last couple of days have been truly amazing.

Today, and I have to start with today, because it's still flowing through my mind...today, I ate fish and chips in the pub where C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien gathered with their brothers and a few of their friends every Tuesday morning from 1939 until 1962. They talked and yelled. They argued and drank. They called themselves "The Inklings." Today, I was in Oxford, walking the same steps taken by Thomas More and Lewis Caroll (I also went into the original candy store frequented by Alice, of Alice in Wonderland fame). Quite frankly, I felt smarter just sitting in the Eagle and Child nursing my pint (of Pepsi).

Yesterday, I sat in what my mom called "the seat of literature," poet's corner in Westminster Abbey. The church is well over 1,000 years old, and you can feel the ghosts all around. I sat for a while amongst the memorials/graves of Geoffrey Chaucer, Jane Austen, Noel Coward and the Bronte Sisters. It's a common tourist spot, but I think that Poet's Corner has a special meaning for English Majors (and it should be on the "must see" list along with the Library of Congress in Washington D.C.).

That's about as much as I can handle describing at the moment - I was rather overcome today...

Oh, one more thing, I did get to see the dining hall in Christ Church College at Oxford University where the Harry Potter movies were filmed :) Go Gryffindor!

Ta ta, and I'm looking forward to writing again soon from a water-logged California (instead of from a foggy but wonderful London-Town).

p.s. When I get home, I'm going to have to start working out again...or maybe GO DANCING, JUST LIKE MARILYN MONROE!

No comments: