Sunday, March 13, 2005

Okay, so I'm still here...mostly.

I'm sick today, and trying to process the meaning of "alternative search devices" (alternative to Boolean) seems to have only increased my fever. And people said Librarians don't need a graduate degree. Bah!

Last night, I went to an actual, honest-to-goodness, club in Walnut Creek. Echo was a decent dance club, but I did get a bit bored after hearing the third Michael Jackson song. They also played "You Took Me All Night Long," a couple of Madonna songs, and far two many "re-mixes" of Usher, Snoop-Dogg, and 50 cent (or 50 cents as my librarian friend, who organized the excurcsion, kept calling him).

The guys were most certainly better put together and more attractive than in other cities, but they were after the same thing "the sure bet," the girl who'd go home with them.

After a little while, I started to feel like one of those prostitutes you read about in the Red Light District in Amsterdam - they dance stand in the windows and hope a guy "buys." The guys certainly don't dance to get attention - although when they did dance, they got attention, because they just couldn't dance.

A fight even broke out between two guys over some girl. Keep in mind, though, that most of these people are all in their late-twenties, early thirties, and (some) in their forties, and probably have decent paying jobs and drive bimmers. You can take the guy out of the ghetto...

Oh well, we made it back to the car, just barely. The bars close at 2 a.m., but the parking garage closed at 1. We got into my friend's car at 12:54!! Lucky ducks!

Okay, back to vector space models and fuzzy sets...gah!! Somebody tell me when it's May!

No comments: