Sunday, August 19, 2012

Mom Meals: Dorito Bake with Zucchini

This past week we welcomed Thane's mom, Ari's Gigi, into our home. She helped out while I returned to work, watching our little man and making the transition "easier" for me (the quotes around easier are because this whole going back to work thing is just a tad emotionally challenging).  Anywho, we have not always had the easiest of meals this week, or they have been of the eat-out variety. 

Tonight, though, I needed to cook something that would allow for leftovers.

I found a yummy Dorito Bake recipe that I wanted to try, but I added a few twists of my own, including sneaking in some zucchini (since our garden is somewhat overrun).

Ingredients
  1. 2 cans Pillsbury crescent rolls
  2. 1 pound ground turkey
  3. 1 can Original Rotel
  4. 1 package Taco Seasoning
  5.  3 cups chopped zucchini
  6. 6-8 oz Low-fat Sour Cream
  7. 1 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
  8. Crushed Doritos to taste

Directions
Preheat oven to 350.

  1. Brown the turkey in a skillet with the taco seasoning, Rotel, and zucchini.
  2. Roll out the crescent rolls and fit the flattened dough side-by-side in a 9x13 greased pan.
  3. Top crescent rolls with the meat mixture,
  4. Spread Sour Cream over meat. 
  5. Top with shredded cheese and crushed Doritos.
    Bake for 35 minutes.


The meal was a perfect fit for my mother-in-law and husband who spent the day rebuilding our fireplace mantle while I played with Ari, did a bit of gardening, and folded laundry.  They were starving, and this fit the bill!  My husband also commented, "This would be good kid food!" So, I know I'm holding onto this recipe to remember for when Ari is a bit older.

No comments: