Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Mom Meals: Dressed Up Zatarain's

While I tend to ignore the plethora of dressed-up desserts on sites like Pinterest, Dressed Up Zatarain's is a favorite here at our casa.  When Costco sold the packs, we bought them like they were going out of style. Now, I just grab a few (usually the jambalaya or dirty rice) when they are on sale at our local grocery store, usually for $2 or less a box.  Considering that, with just a few editions, this makes 6 portions, my bank account is a fan.  It's also quick. Depending on how fast you chop and how much else you are trying to accomplish while dinner cooks, the meal can take 25-40 minutes to prepare.

This meal requires, at the least, the box of Zatarain's and your favorite ground meat. From there, the blend is entirely up to you! I wanted something that would help us get through the quickly aging veggies on our counter and in our fridge. My ingredient list looked like this:

  1. One box Zatarain's Jambalaya Mix
  2. Several tomatoes (many more than in the picture)
  3. Yellow Sweet Peppers
  4. Zucchini
  5. 1 pound ground beef
 If I had more veggies, I would have chopped them up and thrown them in, as well!  I made the mistake of defrosting the wrong meet, but I was saved by a husband willing to defrost the ground beef while I prepared the rest of the meal.

  1. Prepare the Zatarain's according to the package instructions (I omit the oil)
  2. Sautee ground meet until brown
  3. Add in veggies of your choosing and cook until all of the juices are almost gone
  4. Add in cooked rice and stir

 It's even better the next day as leftovers!

No comments: