Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Mom Meals: Salmon with Lemon Butter

Since I needed my mom to watch Ari for a bit this afternoon, my dad is also coming over, and we're having dinner as a whole family.  My mom is diabetic, so the recipes I choose for her visits require a careful balance of carbs.  Rice, pasta and bread-based meals do not fit her diet.  Potatoes, however, work well.  In general, she also tries to eat healthy, and I try to respect that when cooking for her!

Did I also mention that my mom's primary ethnic make-up is French? And you know what they say about the three secrets to French cooking...butter, butter, butter.  I never fry things in butter, but when it comes to baked dishes, butter just does the trick.

Inspired by this Salmon and Lemons recipe I found on Pinterest, I set to work.  Instead of going for just pats of butter on the salmon,  I decided to make lemon butter.

This is a really simple meal with few ingredients!
  • Salmon
  • 1 cup butter
  • Juice of one half of a lemon
  • A dash of salt
  • Several lemons
  • Potatoes
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • A splash of lemon juice
  • Tarragon
Full disclosure, I had a very angry baby on my hands by the time I got to step 5.  I left the foil packet to wait until the oven warmed up to tend to the wee one.  My husband offered to help; so, I put him in charge of the potatoes and of moving the salmon in and out of the oven.  We work well as a team, and we enjoyed a lovely meal!
  1. Pre-heat oven to 300
  2. Blend softened butter, the juice of 1/2 a lemon in a food processor
  3. Lay salmon on foil, spread butter on salmon
  4. Slice lemons and layer slices on the salmon
  5. Fold up the foil packet
  6. Bake the packet on a cookie sheet for 25 minutes
  7. Boil the potatoes (length depends on the type of potatoes)
  8. After potatoes are done, add a pat of butter, a splash of lemon juice, salt, pepper and a sprig of tarragon.
 





No comments: