Friday, February 08, 2008

Waiting and Wanting

"It's such a beautiful day outside. I called my husband to see if he wanted to meet for lunch, and he said that he couldn't," my co-worker frowned as she shared this tidbit of information with me yesterday morning.

She has been married to her husband for a good twenty years, and they're successfully raising two great kids. They both have busy, demanding jobs. And they are still very much in love.

My parents, married thirty years in March, are the same way. Demanding schedules, family issues, financial struggles, health troubles - they've been through it all. But my mom is still slightly jealous of the fact that World of Warcraft is getting a lot of the attention she would like from my dad.

There are some men, like Paul Rudd's character in Knocked Up, who eventually figures this out...of course, he's high on mushrooms at the time, so not exactly a role model.

Pete: Do you ever wonder how somebody could even like you? The biggest problem in our marriage is that she wants me around. And I can't even accept that? I don't think I can accept pure love.

Fiction, non-fiction, co-workers, friends, parents. I've had the opportunity to observe a lot of relationships, and I have finally come to the conclusion, that no matter how long I am married, there will still be moments when I feel that I don't get enough of my husband.

Though it scares me a bit to know this won't be a feeling that goes away, I also take comfort in the fact that I am far from being the only woman who ever wished she got to see more of her man.

No comments: