Monday, November 19, 2007

Seven and Seven

It's my seventh day in a row working, and I have seven more hours before I am officially on vacation.

Yeah, it's not THAT kind of a seven and seven.

I'm not so much whining as I am TIRED. And a little bitter that I get to do this all over again as soon as I get back from vacation. Yep, that's right. Work 7 days. Off 7days. Work 7 days. I don't know how I get myself into these situations. And it could be worse. I could be working shifts or holidays or retail on Black Friday (AKA the day after Thanksgiving).

But I'm tired.

As you may have read in that whole "having a week" post, things have been a little hectic. My dear JJ dog is doing much better than she was last week, so that's a huge relief (and a huge weight in my heart that I don't have to carry). The BIG event went off without much of a hitch (just a mildly scary moment when the bag with the laptop and projector only had the projector...). I worked an entire weekend, and no customers died. So, you know, I can't complain.

But I'm tired.

And people at work are looking at me, and saying things like, "You look wiped out."

And, as luck would have it, a photographer from the local paper is coming today. Oh goodie. I'm hoping he'll just TALK to me and take pictures of the teenagers who got published in our lit mag. 'Cause I'm in no condition to be photographed.

And I'm embroiled in the most shallow of arguments with myself. Is three pairs of jeans too many to bring with me to OK? What about three pairs of shoes (talked down from about five)? This is my only chance to make a good first impression. I don't want to look like the silly girl from Cali who crams way too much in her shiny little weekend suitcase, and I also don't want to look rag-tag (especially after my mother went to all that trouble to make sure I don't look like trailer trash).

...and I get to put my cat in his carry case tonight. What fun.

But, in seven hours, I'll be on vacation, even if that vacation involves a cat howling bloody murder as I set him ever so gently on the passenger seat of my car.

And that's all still better than working retail on Black Friday.

No comments: