Sunday, June 24, 2007

Scary

Okay, so I'm surrounded by librarians and starting to feel like maybe I'm not a good enough one. I couldn't name all of the Printz Award Winners or give intimate details about the last ten books I read. In fact, for the last two days, I didn't even bring a book with me on Metro or the bus, because it would weigh down my bag too much. That, like, violates a cardinal rule of librarianship, do believe.

I've discovered a few things since being here:
1) I read to escape and don't tend to notice all the details. With a few notable exceptions in my life, including, most recently The Book Thief and Sex, Drugs and Coco Puffs*, I tend not to remember anything about what I've read after....oh...a day has passed. I'm working on resolving this problem by reading FEWER books, but still...

2) People who worship authors are scarier than people who worship movie stars. Why? Because they know things they had to research, not just things that are readily available in your nearest People Magazine (how do I tend to know so much about celebrities? It's called the grocery store checkout lane or the headlines on Yahoo, people. This is not graduate-level research).

3) While I love librarians, while I love to read, I also want a life that exists in a world of which I am actually a part.

4) Traveling for work feels like work. I've gotten to see friends and have good times, but I also had to get up at 6 a.m. on a Sunday. Not fun. Not fun.

5) I really must eat more often, for the sake of all human kind.

6) I have to get off this computer or I really am going to get hit.

*No links..sorry. I might add them in later, but I'm on a public/shared/free computer and don't want to make people want to hit me with their extremely heavy book-filled bags as a result of my taking ever so long on this blog post.

No comments: