Wednesday, April 11, 2007

You Gotta Have Faith

Since all the cool kids are doin' it...

I believe in ice cream and the power of prayer. I believe that in combination, these two things can work miracles.

I believe that it is time to bring our troops home from Iraq and Afghanistan. They have been there too long, fighting a war that doesn't make a lot of sense.

I believe that when they come home, we need to respect that they fought for a cause they believed in and respect that they were willing to make a sacrifice for our nation, for the sake of democracy and give them the treatment (therapy, parades, what have you) that they deserve.

I believe in love.

I believe that love takes an infinite different forms, and that love looks different to every individual. Love does hurt if you do it right.

I don't believe that the boy worth crying over won't make you cry.

I believe that my life will change drastically when I get married and have children, that my relationships with my family and friends will not ever be the same. But I also believe that they will grow stronger over time.

I believe that in order to fulfill our roles on this planet, we have to be willing to change and to accept change, even if it makes me get a funny burn in the pit of my stomach and a familiar ache in the center of my chest.

I believe that I have found the man I want to spend the rest of my life with, and that doesn't terrify me at all.

I believe that we should not choose our lifelong careers at 18 or 22 or 30 or 40, but that sometimes these careers choose us.

I believe in the unseen, the unknown and the impossible.

I am a Catholic, but I do not believe that I have to only go to a Catholic Church in order to receive spiritual nourishment.

I believe that abortion is wrong but that banning abortion is not the only solution. I believe that we should have more than "here's a condom" or "don't have sex until you're married" as our sex ed in both public and private schools. I believe that we should encourage adoption. I believe that life should not be over for teen mothers, and that we should encourage them to move forward in life.

I believe that day care should not be so expensive, that pre-school should be free and that mothers and fathers could have enough time off work to properly care for their families.

I believe that welfare and other government subsidies need to be overhauled and that the minimum wage needs to be raised and rents in good quality neighborhoods need to be lowered.

I do not believe in the forty hour work week. Life is too short for that, but I have to pay the rent somehow.

I believe that I will follow my future husband wherever he needs to go, but that he should be equally willing to follow me.

I believe that family comes first but that the definition of family is flexible.

I believe that there is life outside of California.

I believe that we do not use public transportation nearly enough, that we should all drive cars that get good gas mileage and that my apartment complex should offer recycling.

I believe that my life is richer now that I don't have cable. I believe that Americans watch far too much television and have lost the ability to converse.

I believe that the fact that I have changed in the last six months does mean that I have sacrificed myself. Rather, I have become more myself. I believe that in order for a relationship to be successful, both people involved have to change.

I believe that God comes first, and eventually, my husband will come second. My children will share that spot with him.

I believe that I finally understand why girls seem to disappear when they fall in love, and I'm okay with it.

I believe in honesty.

I believe that sticks and stones may break my bones but words can always hurt me.

I believe that we can rehabilitate criminals but that we have to get them when they're young and their records can be sealed, so that they do not have to deal with having a record their entire lives.

I believe that schools should not teach to the middle, nor to the test. Children should be encouraged to learn. Perhaps I believe that the montessori style should be brought up all the way through high school, at least to some degree.

I believe that, on the inside, we are who we were on the first day of 9th grade.

And, finally, I believe that an Oreo cookie shake can solve a lot of problems.

1 comment:

brandy said...

I loved this! I was thinking about the whole 'who we are is who we were on the first day of gr.9', and I think there is truth to that. After an Easter of seeing all my old school mates, everyone is who they always were, except... evolved. I can't decide if I love that or if it's depressing. I will keep you posted. ;)