Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ashes

Today is Ash Wednesday, and that means going to Mass and being reminded that I am sinful. Yeah, that's the bad part. But I also get reminded that I am forgiven. I can live with that.

I've mentioned this before, but Catholics (and possibly those of other Christian faiths) also get to take a second look at their New Year's resolutions and see if they can improve on them for the forty days of Lent.

I mentioned something about this day to my boss, and she said, "Oh, what are you giving up?"

"I tend to try to do the behavioural stuff."

She said that she tries to do the same thing and puts her daughters on as enforcers to keep her on track during Lent. It was somewhat of a surreal conversation to have with my boss, especially seeing as how faith is rarely allowed in Government buildings, BUT I'm grateful nonetheless.

Yes, I am working on my behavior. I'll be extending on the "calm down" resolution, expanding it to the following:
*Worrying only about things about which I have control (how is this religious? Well, my worrying about other peoples' business is not exactly Christian and can border on judgmental)
*Being a nicer person in general (turning the other cheek...no mean comments)
*Loving (two simple commandments, people, and they summarize down to "love God" and "love your neighbor". So, I'm going to love).

Those are three big things, three somewhat vague things, but I'll check in with myself each day to think about how I'm accomplishing each of them.

Oh, and I won't make you read about my Lenten accomplishments or failures each day...that's not something you need to worry about.

Here's to 40 days of change.

No comments: