Thursday, December 07, 2006

Changes

So, I truly believed that I was the type of woman who would not change at all when she got into a relationship. Turns out that's not true.

It turns out that my past relationships really weren't relationships, possibly because I didn't let them become relationships.

I'm realizing more and more that being in a true relationship does call for changes - from both people. I'm noticing things in myself, some good, some bad, that have changed in the course of my time with Wine Guy.

1) Overbooking/Magic Sarah Time. I still have a tendency to have grand plans that can only be accomplished through no sleep and much stress, but Wine Guy knows that means he will have to deal with my stressed out self, so he attempts to talk me out of taking on too much. The other day, he actually said, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy, and Mama, in this case, is you."

2) Questioning everything. My natural predelection is to ask a lot of questions. I can come off as either inquisitive or jealous and crazy, depending on the situation. I don't ask Wine Guy a lot of questions, because I realize that most of what I want to know would come off as needy. I think that I need to turn my questions on a little bit more, but for the most part, this is a good change.

3) Being stubborn about getting my way. Wine Guy probably thinks I'm a push-over, because he tends to get his way with things...but here's the thing, I don't disagree with his way, and if I do, I say something. Last night, he drove HIS car to run errands, despite having to give up a good parking spot. I did NOT want to drive. So, there, see, I still get my way.

I'm realizing, much to my relief, as I write this, that I haven't changed my fundamental personality. I'm different, because I'm happy. I'm less stubborn and more accomodating, because I have no reason to complain.

So, I'm not the kind of woman who's different when she's in a relationship. I'm the kind of woman who's different when she's happy.

No comments: