Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Books

Okay, so I read a quote yesterday that said that some university's library was going to move most of the books out of the study areas, because, and I quote, "students don't like to be surrounded by books."

That's when I realized two things:

1) I was made for my job
2) I, apparently, am a freak

Here's the thing, I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE to be surrounded by books and always assumed that others feel the same way. How can you study and not feel better when surrounded by a comforting wall of books? How can you do research in a library and not feel immediately smarter, just for knowing that so much knowledge is within your grasp?

Being surrounded by books, whether new and fresh smelling, or ancient and dusty, is one of my favorite ways to spend a few hours, to while away time.

As a matter of fact, when I returned to my little apartment last night, ready to finish up some last Christmas details, what I really wanted to do, was crawl into my warm bed, surround myself with books, and read all night. But you'll be proud to know that I did not give into my impulse...I did my work, and I got to sleep at a decent hour...oh, but the temptation was strong.

To not want to be surrounded by books? I fail to comprehend how this is possible.

2 comments:

singlemuslimah said...

I guess I'm a freak too because I love books. Also, if you don't want to be surrounded by books, don't go in the library.

Sarah said...

Exactly! To me library = books and anything else is just nonsense.