Thursday, February 23, 2006

Okay, so remember how I said a few months ago that taking just two classes would, and I quote myself here, "feel like cheating." Yeah, not so much.

The two classes I have are both challenging in their own way. Racing the clock to finish two twenty page papers on really intensive topics is threatening to give me a melt down, but I am pushing through and trying to get this done as quickly as possible. I have half of a the first draft of one paper written, and let me tell you, it is a word by word, sentence by sentence, kind of experience...the words just don't pour of out me as they have in the past. I think I'm tired. Okay, I know I'm tired. My body is not responding well to grad school...well, more my body is not responding well to the 18 months solid of reading, writing, "participating" (agh, I hate the word even more now than I did in high school, and I didn't think that was possible) and otherwise learning my chosen profession. I'm happy to be preparing myself for what appears to be a promising (though not lucrative by any means) career, BUT I'm exhausted.

The other class, cataloging, in case you're curious, is essentially like learning a new language. Well, it's more on par with learning HTML. Okay, it's a combination of computer-speak and playing a boardgame with my mom when I was a child - ALL THE RULES MUST BE FOLLOWED (hi, Mommy). It's an interesting experience, paying attention to every comma, semi-colon and "full-stop." This class will be more, uhm, fun, when I'm not also trying to write papers that are my golden tickets to graduation.

So, that's what's in my head. I could whine some more, but I think you all get the point.

No, wait, I do have more to say - it's this school stuff along with the stress of trying to figure out where I want to apply for jobs - mind you, this isn't to the stage of deciding what job to accept or worrying myself silly over where to rent an apartment. No, this is just "where would I be okay working/living/having a life?" It's an exciting, but scary time. And no, I don't just have me to worry about...I've got friends and family filling my life in lots of good ways. Quite frankly, I'd rather be planning a birthday bash for a friend than writing a paper, but the paper must be written. So, yeah, I'm a whiner and a complainer, but in May, I'll be a whiner and complainer with a master's degree :Þ.

No comments: