Wednesday, August 31, 2005

I could never be a politician, a celebrity...or popular!

It's amazing to me that in each of my new classes, the professors ask us to introduce ourselves and "make friends." I don't have anymore room in my brain for the information that comes with meeting new people. I know I sound like some kind of old fogey, stuck in her ways, but seriously, I don't have room in my head for meeting new people...online.

If I were taking all of these classes face to face, it would be a lot easier to develop a peer group, you know that group you always sit with, in class. Online, especially in an environment without pictures, it's really difficult for me to keep track of who is who and who does what. I am trying to comprehend the meaning of "ready reference" and how to do a "readers advisory," and I simply cannot keep up with how many pets and kids people have (although I am rather impressed that one woman in one of my classes has 4 kids under 4 and is taking 2 classes...that adds up to a LOT of work). Does this make me a bad person?

Or maybe it's just that I acknowledge that I didn't apply to grad school so that I would make loads of new friends. I'm not looking to trade in any of my friends, thank you very much!

No comments: