Tuesday, November 04, 2003

It's COLD!

(in honor of that)

Okay, I just finished reading a book that had lots of English characters. One of the funniest things I garnered from this book is a paraphrased quote, "When it's cold in London, at least the sunshine has the decency to hide behind clouds." That's true. Much of the United States, and California in particular, experiences what I like to call "Fake Sun." We have all the light we can stand but no warmth! Now, I'm not complaining, I don't mind this weather. I just find it interesting. Even after years of living here and dressing early in the morning, I still trust the fake sun and put on a lighter jacket or fewer layers than I might need.

Welcome to Winter (aka Autumn in the rest of the country), the season of the icy cold that adorned itself as sunshine.

Whoohoo, awkward transition sentence...Only children (and other kids who spend a lot of time "in their heads") may exhibit odd social patterns. Do not be alarmed! I know that I, as an only child and a person who spent a great deal of time living out a quaint, charming, fascinating fantasy life, have a tendency to do things differently than others might do. I believe that this comes as a result of seeing certain behaviors (eating, dressing, talking) and adapting as my own with little or no supervision. Now, don't get me wrong, my parents spent PLENTY of time with me, but when I was little, I entertained myself and played by myself. I had friends, but I didn't have siblings or a regular or consistent group of playmates, so I developed my own style, habits and ways.

For example: Directions. I often take some back-ass-wards way to get somewhere. It works for me, based on a convaluted set of reasons in my head, but I can't explain this to anyone. They might just say, "Well, why can't you just go right?" I will respond, "If you go left through the parking lot, count two spaces and turn right, then go up the street, it's much faster." Additionally, I have unique thought patterns. When given an assignment, I decide how to approach it and go about it in my way. Someone might ask, "When will you get to the web document?" I would have to reply, "Soon," because my real response, "I will deal with the web document after I check e-mail, copy another document into a text format, check the database..." might frighten them. I have a pattern. The pattern cannot be disrupted.

Also, I move over to the third lane of the free way when I pass the auto dealerships, the second lane at the mall and the slow/exit lane after the last exit before my house. It's a constant method.

If I think of anything more amusing, I'll let you know. Hopefully, you get my point though, that we only kids often spent time playing house with ourselves as both the mommy and the daddy, so we don't always know how to interact when the actual social situation presents itself.

Maybe that's part of my problem..hey, blogging revelation...I just figured this out. I spent so much time imagining the "daddy," that I don't know how to interact with real life men. If he's not the guy who I created as the appropriate husband to me and father to our Cabbage Patch babies, then I don't know how to talk to him. Plus, I spent a good twelve years scripting his lines. I don't know what to do when he comes up with his own. I don't know what to do when he's real (this explains, in part, why I haven't found him yet).

Hmm.

No comments: