Monday, August 04, 2008

Sarcastic Writing by Fabulous Women

I've read most of Laurie Notaro's books, starting with I Love Everybody and Other Atrocious Lies. I poured through Haven Kimmel's A Girl Named Zippy. I always am on the lookout for other authors with a similar sense of enjoyment in the absolutely absurd elements of their lives.

Happily, I discovered Sloane Crosley and I Was Told There'd Be Cake, and you should, too.

Crosley covers a variety of topics, from her strangely acquired collection of plastic ponies:

"I don't even like ponies. If I made one of my throwaway equine requests and someone produced an actual pony, Juan Valdez-style, I would run very fast in the other direction."

and the awkward evenings that can come of spending time with friends from another time.

"You are beginning to get the hang of these friendships again. They feel familiar, like riding a bike. This social ease could atrophy before the nights is through. But for now, you're enjoying yourself."

If I don't entirely feel like I could be Sloane Crosley, I certainly feel that I could have known her in college. She would have been the girl with the crazy, funny stories about dates gone wrong. She would have been the girl who made a fantastic evening out of even the most boring social functions.

And her book certainly livened up the waiting room at the bank :).

1 comment:

Mimi said...

I heart sarcasm!