Monday, August 25, 2008

And Two People Fell in Love

My favorite wedding of the summer happened this weekend. Someone I've known since 2000 married someone she's known since 1998. So, as long as I've known my friend, she's known her (now) husband. They've always been a part of each other, but they've never had the relationship that, to me, seemed obnoxious. If her man was around, we were happy to see him. If she talked to him on the phone while we three roommates were having a chat, she brought him into the conversation. Those four-way conversations are one of my fondest college memories.

It helps that this is the only wedding this summer in which the the couple getting married have dated longer than WG and I have. At nine and a half years together, there's no question that these two are ready for marriage. And it showed. They were so comfortable with each other throughout the whole ceremony. The officiant cautioned them that they shouldn't get too complacent, that they shouldn't an assume they "know each other," even after nine and a half years together. I wanted to turn and look pointedly at WG, because we'd had a conversation about "knowing" each other earlier in the day. Being the six year old that I am, I wanted to stand up and say, "See! Ha! Nine and a half years and they don't know each other! We've got plenty of time to learn the little details, and we'll keep learning until we're too old to remember anything, and then we'll start learning again!" Being the grown-up, charming woman that I am, I simply smiled and kept on watching the wedding.

I cried when the bride cried saying her vows, but only because this was the first time in eight years of friendship that I have seen my friend cry.

I got a little teary during the speeches, but only because the bride's twin, whom I have also known for eight years, doesn't usually cry either.

It was nice to cry simply because my friends were crying, and not because the words they were saying touched some odd little chord in my heart. No, these were tears of unity, not tears that meant I had selfishly involved my own romantic emotion.

My friend and her soulmate got married. There was much laughter. There was (finally!) dancing. There were smiles and pictures and happy moments.

And I am so happy that two people fell in love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That? Was super sweet. And its probably all for the better that you didn't stand up and say "See! Ha! Nine and a half years and they don't know each other! We've got plenty of time to learn the little details, and we'll keep learning until we're too old to remember anything, and then we'll start learning again!"
But I think its so great that you are planning to o just that.