Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Real World Wednesday

I have read countless articles about how to go green. I have even invested in environmentally friendly dishsoap (I know, I start small). I use cloth bags when I go to the grocery store.

I also consume like nobody's business.

I buy t-shirts and pass them on to the homeless when they're worn out, or I've grown tired of them. I change fashion sense every couple of years, and don't even get me started on my ever-expanding shoe collection.

I have some self-control. If I don't go in stores, I don't buy things. But that's about where it ends.

Though I need to support the economy, I also need to be a less wasteful consumer.

My mom decided not to buy herself things, or to limit her purchases, in 2008. Perpahs I can follow her example, though not with quite so strict of rules.

The prediction from a famous NASA scientist that in our current time, we are having our last chance to save our planet scares me. I have got to wake up and make a change. I have to find a way to stop consuming everything in my wake.

How can I do this? How can you?
1) Reconsider a move to an urban environment. Is this really the end of suburbia?
2) Rely more on public transit, even if it is slower than my car.
3) Do less multi-tasking. How about using my computer only, and not having on the tv, the dvd player and the computer all at the same time?
4) In addition to my lovely pink water bottle at work, I should always bring my handy dandy travel mugs with me so that I don't end up tossing papercups all month.
5) Just stop. Have some will power and control my consumption.

This isn't the first time I've talked about this, but with the fires in California and the floods in Iowa, I feel like we're in a very dire situation. Something has to change, and it has to change now.

No comments: