Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Real World Wednesday

...actually posted on something resembling a Wednesday.

Lately, I have found tremendous comfort in curling up inside my own world, having concern only for family, friends and the little dramas and issues that fill my life.

I turn on the news, and I see destruction in Iowa.

I have deliberately turned away from the news in the hopes that I can, perhaps, avoid the world for just a bit. Life in the library, while replete with crazy customers who comment on the presence or lack of presence of my ankle brace, is not exactly full of doses of what happens outside of my sphere.

World avoidance is one of my strengths.

Luckily, though I have both Irene and my mom to keep me informed when I get caught up in the editorial stories on Yahoo, MSN, CNN, MSNBC...yeah, I make an effort to navigate to the news sites and end up reading about the best ways to conserve water, the family with sixteen children expecting their seventeenth. And before I know it, I'm several pages deep into the website, free from guilt, convincing myself that I'm educating myself.

So, instead of trying to keep up with the real world for right now, I'll try to learn more about the history of the world. Currently, I'm reading The Last of the Just by Andre Schwarz-Bart. It's a fictionalized account of the history of the persecution of the Jewish people. It sounds far more boring than it is, and it makes me feel far more intelligent than reading this did.

No comments: