Thursday, October 18, 2007

Those Times When We Don't Have Any Money

AKA "The Hungry Years."

Now, my life, lest this e-mail indicate otherwise, is just fine. I make enough to lead a happy existence. I can afford to travel (well, small weekend trips). I am not lacking in clothes. I eat well.

I also am spending far too much on rent.

The reason?

I am living in an apartment that is the same quality of my parents' house. Well, it's close enough, an apartment of the same quality would likely take up my ENTIRE monthly income, rather than nearly half of it, but still, I am living in the manner to which I have become accustomed.

And I can't do that anymore.

My parents worked themselves up from the bottom, from military housing to a four bedrooom with three bathrooms and a pond in the back.

Luckily, I won't have to start as far down as they did, with just a couple of pennies to rub together, but I still need to accept that I'm just starting out.

It's funny, I can phathom that when I get married, I'll have to start fresh with my husband. I can imagine us in a not-so-perfect neighborhood, trying to save up for our own house. But when it's just me? Oh, I'd like the nice place with the fitness room and the gourmet appliances, thank you very much.

And that's what I've had for the last year, and now it's time to reorganize my priorities, to decide whether a fitness room is more valuable than putting money away for the future (not to say I've neglected this entirely, but, well, food and electricity are expensive...).

So, I have officially begun the Sarah process of thinking about the possibility of moving.

Here are somethings I've decided.
1) I don't want to become a roommate in an already existing roommate situation.
2) The cat will continue to live with me.
3) In-house laundry is a must.
4) I may be willing to get a multi-bedroom place and THEN find roommates - that way it's my furniture, my cat, my rules :).
5) I really do enjoy living on my own, but prioirities must be evaluated.

This will be a months-long (or at least weeks-long) process and depends on several factors beyond my control, but the process has begun and I am embracing the "hungry years."

5 comments:

Jess said...

I read your comment on Smitten Kitchen about pumpkin squares and I'm intrigued - will you e-mail it to me? jessica dot diettrich at gmail dot com. BTW, I loved your "not overlooked" post about being single. I really appreciate what that preacher said and he makes a great point.

AKA said...

I'm going through something similar right now. I'm finding that I'm spending a lot more than anticipated in the place I just moved into so I'm thinking of moving in with someone though I've repeatedly said I would only live alone. I like the 4th idea - it feels much more like your own home when it's your place with your things in it!

P.S. good to read your updates after awhile - I've been on an unintended hiatus but finally back!

megabrooke said...

i like the term "the hungry years" for it all. i hear you. i hope we are not hungry for TOO long though. just long enough so that when we find exactly what it is (we want to eat?), we can appreciate the time that we were hungry for a whole lot.

Anonymous said...

I moved into a small two-bedroom apartment a few years ago. It was the first time since high school that I have not had a roommate. And I love it. I can't afford as a place as I could if I was splitting the bills with someone else, but living alone (with my kitty) is totally worth it. I hope you find a place/situation that is right for you!

Sarah said...

Jessica - hope you enjoy the recipe!

AKA - Welcome back! And it's so hard to realize that you've bitten off more than you can chew, rent-wise.

Brookem - I agree with you entirely. I don't want to be hungry forEVER.

Beth - You know, it's my cat that makes it hard to consider getting roommates. What if they let him outside? What if they don't like him?