Monday, October 29, 2007

A Beautiful Weekend

1) Starting out Friday evening with dinner at my parents' house. A fabulous time was had by all - there was roast beef, and perfectly done potatoes, and these loverly brussels sprouts. Then we watched Heroes. It can't get much better than that. It was also quite endearing to watch WG explain to my dad the he doesn't really want to see American Gangster (the movie my dad and I have been going on and on about to each other for months).

WG: Eh, I don't really want to see it. I don't like those kinds of movies.
My Dad (with an open mouth and an unbelieving expression in his eyes): You DON'T LIKE THOSE KINDS OF MOVIES? How can you not?
Me (trying to change the subject just a tad): They had an article with the real life guy's daughter in Glamour...
My Dad (now mumbling to himself): Sarah and I love those movies...
WG: Well, I'll see it...
My mom (perky in the background): Maybe we can all go together!

2) Pumpkin Carving with fabulous library friends! Yay! Our wonderful hostess provided the pumpkins, the carving gear, the yummy snacks...the works. A fabulous time was had by all. That seemed to be the order of the weekend. I greatly enjoyed getting dressed up with my blue wig and the rest of my martian costume, and it was fantastic to hear WG laugh heartily at himself as his costume makes him look just a tad silly.

3)Bridge School Benefit Concert- hearing Regina Spektor live for the first time and John Mayer live for the fourth time was amazing. I sang along, listened to the music and said to WG (my own personal band geek who can play three instruments well), "You know, I may not play music, but I listen to music. Just as there are leaders, there must be followers. There are those play music and those who listen. I listen." During the concert, with a perfect Hollywood movie blue sky speckled gently with whisphy white clouds, I worried that I would wake up from a dream. I also realized fully and for the first time that I have been with this man for over a year, that we are a couple, that I have survived a year with a man in my life, and I was happy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! I'm not sure if there is a feeling better than realizing just how happy you are in a single moment. I love that!

As for American Gangster- I've been really wanting to see it too! Why doesn't WG want to??

Sarah said...

Brandy, I am sort of in the same boat as my dad on this...I can't phathom why he doesn't want to see it. He just says, "That's exactly the type of movie you'd go see with your dad." I think it's the whole drug-dealer, gang-banging aspect that turns him off...

brandy said...

I understand that, but then on the other hand... the move just looks so good!! Oh well. I'm glad you have other people who are excited about it. If we lived closer I would totally ring you up to see if you wanted to check it out. Denzel is going to be fantastic. And I love movies based on real events.

Sarah said...

Yeah, that whole cross-continent thing does present a problem for our ring-up-and-go-to-the-movies friendship. Oh! I know! floo powder! that'll solve it.