Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Cupcakes!

WG (aka Wine Guy) and I had Irenie and the F-Man over for a BBQ on Sunday. New York Steaks on the apartment complex grill, baked potatoes and a lovely mixed salad.

I was in charge of dessert.

I assured Irene that there would be meat and chocolate cake.

I told her I would buy some cake at a local bakery.

And then, I decided it was high time I used two things:
1) My copy of Nigella Lawson's Feast
2) My cupcake tin

So, I made Guiness cake. Yes, that's right, a chocolate cake that starts with a cup of Guiness bear, is stirred on the stove and then, finally, baked. After cooling the cupcakes for a significant amount of time, I iced them with a cream cheese/heavy cream/powdered sugar frosting that Nigella describes as just like the foam on a Guiness. I have yet to taste the beer outside of a cake, and don't plan to, but man, that stuff makes one tasty chocolate cake.


My mother has requested these cupcakes in a full cake form for her birthday this Friday. I will gladly comply.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love cupcakes! I had no idea you could make them with beer! Glad they turned out well! Happy early Birthday to your mommy!

singlemuslimah said...

Oooh, those cupcakes sound good. You should try Grand Marnier cake. It's to die for.