Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Relationship?

He said the word "relationship."

Actually, he said "our relationship."

Okay, taken completely out of context, it probably seems to mean much more than it actually does. He probably meant it as a joke, BUT I'm a girl, and girls take these things a bit seriously (actually, guys do too, especially when that particular word has yet to be spoken).

Context:

We were talking on the phone fairly late (well, late for him, because he has to get to work by 6:30 each morning).

This whole thing started with a ten minute discussion on the Jefferson Starship song, "Sara" (anyone know for sure whether or not it has an "h" at the end...I couldn't find a definitive answer last night). He, for some reason, mentioned it. Then, I mentioned my great hatred for this particular song that was the bane of much of my childhood. I don't know why people insisted on singing it to me. It's not like Sarah was an unheard of name before Jefferson Starship came along to ruin it...

But that's besides the point.

Eventually, this discussion swung in the direction of whether or not Sarah should have an "h" on it, just in general. Of course, I think it should. He said that he always thought that if he'd had a daughter, he might have named her "Sara," h-less, because he doesn't like unnecessary letters. I said that Sara is naked without the "h," but that I might be a bit biased.

Somehow, this swung into me saying that my name backwards is, "Haras," pronounced "harass."

At this point, the world turned on its head.

He was BESIDE himself with joy that I knew my name backwards (it's not hard, and it sort of spells something, so, easy enough to remember, right?). But apparently, in his world, I am only the second girl EVER to be able to accomplish this amazing feat.

And that's when he said it.

"This is a pivotal point in our relationship. This is IMPORTANT."

So, there you have it. A serious word in the midst of what may very well have been a joke.

But so far in my experience, NO man ever messes with the word "relationship."

...and I'm taking him to the airport at 5 o'clock in the morning on Friday...that sort of fits with "relationship," doesn't it?

No comments: