Monday, March 13, 2006

More thinking about the same old thing...

Contrary to what these posts might seem to imply, I am NOT as obsessed with finding a guy as it might seem. It just so happens that this has something to do my Lenten tasks (see the earlier post about Ash Wednesday), and I'm working through some "issues."

Though it did occur to me a while ago, I've only really started to realize how true the following statement is: I don't need a man to complete me. I'm not really looking for the missing puzzle piece or even a soulmate. God alone can complete me, and I think that's something incredibly important to realize. There's a quote from Macy Gray (yeah, I know, but stick with me, it's worth it) that says something about how women expect to find a hero, Jesus, or someone else slightly better than human, and when that guy comes along and his name is Steve, what are you supposed to do? The expectations that women have for who their husband will be are, well, unfair.

I think that we sometimes forget about God, or if a woman isn't religious, perhaps she's looking for God and doesn't even realize it. When we forget that God is supposed to be the most important presence in our lives, we scramble around trying to find something to fit into the gap.

So, here are the realizations that come out of this:
1) Yes, I can "complete" myself in the feminist sort of way - I can have a career and hobbies and great friends. I can even have a man, but he's not the end-all and be-all of my existence.
2) The end-all and be-all of my existence is God.

Along with that, here are the things I do NOT expect from my future husband:
* I do not expect him to complete me
* I do not expect him to ever be my best friend - friend sure, but best friend is already taken
* I do not expect a soul mate

Some esoteric things I DO expect:
* I do expect to build a friendship and a partnership
* I do expect that we will love each other (thought I forgot that one, didn't you?!)
* I do expect that God will be central to our relationship

Thanks for reading and thanks for supporting me as I come to these decidedly un-Hollywood Romantic-but still romantic in their own way realizations.

No comments: