Tuesday, November 22, 2005

I need to learn how to keep my mouth shut.

Or is that I need to learn to think before I speak.

You'd think I'd have learned by now, but now, I really haven't. Thoughts pop into my head, and I just say them, as if what I have to say is the MOST important thing in all the world, other people's feelings be darned...

I was thinking all of this one the way home from a weekend filled with me saying things and immediately wishing I hadn't set them.

Then I read my Glamour magazine, which happens this month to have a profile of my astrological sign, Sagitarrius, and it gave the very same advice...

Can I really blame this on my birthday? If not that, can I blame it on my grandma? Because, really, she's the champion of the quick insult.

No matter who's (or what's) to blame, I'm the one who can make it better by realizing that people don't always want to hear what I have to say and that what I have to say isn't always nice.

It's not quite my birthday and it's a few weeks away from the new year, but what the hay, here's a resolution:

I resolve to think before I speak and to say nice things when I do speak.

p.s. If I have inadvertently hurt anyone with my sometimes snide, often cynical comments, please do forgive me. The words slip away from me before I have the chance to catch them, but I'm going to make an effort to make sure that doesn't happen anymore. I promise.

No comments: